- Pronouns: He has mastered "he" or "she" and is almost there with "they". He has also gotten "my" and "your" but still gets confused sometimes. Trying to generalise "his", "her" and "their" now;
- What, Which, Where, Who and Why questions are almost mastered except when you mix them up! That is what we're trying to practise more of now. Slowly starting on "when" questions too.
- For the "where" questions, we are encouraging him to be more descriptive and getting the language out instead of him just pointing to where the thing is. For eg, we ask "where is your nose?", instead of just pointing to it, Raiyan will say "under my eyes."
- His abstract thinking is improving. When asked "what is the same with a parrot and a macaw?" Raiyan said "they are birds, AND they fly AND they'er colourful". We are doing more of this but making it more natural and not necessarily categorising the items in categories which we know he loves to do!
- His logical thinking is great! He especially loves this set of "irregularities" flash cards where a picture clearly has something wrong in it. For eg, a picture of a books in a toaster. We then ask Raiyan what's wrong with the picture, and he says "you read a book. bread goes into toaster." And of course being the cheeky boy Raiyan is, he'll be correcting this in a "duh, that's not supposed to be that way" tone! hahaha the little corrector!
- Raiyan has no trouble initiating conversations with others too. He would ask "what is that?" or "where is she?" etc. This morning, when I was with Kerri in the living room, I can actually hear Raiyan having a chit chat with Kerri's husband in the kitchen!
In terms of Raiyan's personality, I guess I'm not all that surprised that he's being more strong headed these days. Lately, he keeps protesting to do things but instead of tantrumming he will just say "stop it. I don't want to" etc etc. One particular thing he's so against nowadays is shaking others' hands and saying bye. His argument is always because he's doing something at that very moment. This just compels me to reason with him as to why it is important to shake his elders' hands and if that doesn't work, then I would take away what it is he's preoccupied with UNTIL he agrees to shake hands and this has been working lately.
Apart from the protests, I am amused to discover that he has a really cheeky sense of humour. As I have mentioned earlier, he just LOVES to correct things. Well basically he loves it when others are wrong and he is right! To the extent that sometimes he'd be debating with J on some things and when J gets it wrong he will laugh out loud!!
More stories next week!